Save The Redneck: It’s A Movement!
Posted on 04.23.09 by Danny Glover @ 7:58 pm

Thanks to the power of Google news alerts, a press release about a grassroots group called Save the Redneck found its way to my e-mail box.

Like me, the group is irked at elitist actress Janeane Garofalo for her bigoted rant about rednecks at last week’s anti-tax “tea parties.” Save the Redneck wants an apology from her.

“We are proud of our redneck culture and do not want to see it stereotyped or attacked. We are striving to bring awareness to, and change, this unacceptable behavior,” group co-founder Crit Callebs said. “Our aim is to set the record straight and celebrate everything positive about being a redneck.”

I won’t hold my breath for Garofalo to apologize, but I’m glad to see others are fighting the good redneck fight. I’m part of a movement and didn’t even know it!

Take some time to explore the Save the Redneck site. You can go to class for some redneck history, meet some famous rednecks and get answers to all of your burning questions about rednecks.

I especially enjoyed Calleb’s musings about what it means to be a redneck:

It is impossible to capture the multi-dimensional characteristics of a redneck with a single definition. But I can tell you what being a redneck is to me. It is about living my idea of a redneck lifestyle, unashamed and proud, because it makes totally good sense to me.

I feel honored to talk with a thick accent because I inherited it from my Scotch-Irish ancestors that helped build this country. I do not mind getting filthy digging, shoveling and busting my hump all day. I work hard to pay my bills, taxes and take care of family and friends in need. I hunt, fish, eat meat and wear furs. I learned from an early age that food does not come from a grocery store. I also learned that if you do not hunt it, gather it, or grow it you will not be eating. And, if you do not take care of the land and animals there will not be anything to take care of you.

These are just some of the aspects of my redneck life that I am proud of, and I believe that everyone could learn a few things from a redneck.

We’re definitely on the same wavelength. I went one step further several years ago in an essay I titled “Rednecks Rule,” arguing that “redneckedness is a state of mind to be cherished, not a consequence of culture to be ridiculed.”

Anyone can be a redneck if he wants to be. As Callebs says, it’s all about “talking the talk and walking the walk” — whether you have an accent or not.

Filed under: Culture and Entertainment and Fishing and Hatin' On Rednecks and History and Human Interest and Hunting & Guns and News & Politics and People and Rednecks and Spotlight
Comments:

14 Comments »

1. “I’m part of a movement and didn’t even know it!”

Same with us Tea Partiers out here.

Google news alerts are helping us find our voice!

Comment by Sissy Willis — April 24, 2009 @ 8:35 am

2. official nonofficial Redneck anthem.. “Won’t back down” by Tom Petty

Comment by maynardgk — April 24, 2009 @ 8:49 am

3. http://manholemusic.blogspot.com/ And then there’s Redneck Asceticism…

What’s next? :)

Comment by RiverC — April 24, 2009 @ 9:23 am

4. Check out the definition of redneck in The Encyclopedia of Southern Culture published at Ole Miss. Hits the mark.

Comment by harold montgomery — April 24, 2009 @ 9:27 am

5. You know, to really ‘Win’ the argument with Non-rednecks, we need to:

First, come up with a PC term for ourselves, like Scarlet-Head-Supporting-Americans.

Second, make sure we use the name Redneck with pride only amoungst ourselves. Do not let non-rednecks use the term.

Third, make all sorts of offended actions against Janeane Garofalo and others for not calling up a SHS-American.

Because ‘Redneck’ is an insult. Unless you are one.

Worked for everybody else…

Josh

Comment by Josh — April 24, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

6. I lost my accent in college and have a doctorate in psychology but I am still proud to be a Tennessee Redneck. It is a state of mind.

Trey

Comment by Trey — April 24, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

7. Read about the suprising origin of the term ‘redneck’ in David Hackett Fischer’s great book, “Albion’s Seed” (1989)- it’s not what you might think!

Comment by Colin Bedford — April 24, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

8. [...] Save The Redneck They’re a persecuted lot and deserve respect. Tweet This  SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: “Enlightened Redneck”, url: “http://www.melissaclouthier.com/2009/04/27/enlightened-redneck/” }); [...]

Pingback by Enlightened Redneck « Blog Entry « Dr. Melissa Clouthier — April 27, 2009 @ 10:41 am

9. [...] editorial-page editor of The Baxter Bulletin in the redneck heartland of Arkansas, has noticed the redneck movement and likes what he sees: I’m not sure what’s prompted this turn of events, but rednecks [...]

Pingback by The Enlightened Redneck » Be Proud Of Your Redneckedness — May 3, 2009 @ 8:23 am

10. [...] to the enlightened redneck movement, AnarchAngel! addthis_url = [...]

Pingback by The Enlightened Redneck » What It Means To Be A Redneck — May 6, 2009 @ 5:51 pm

11. I’m sorry I had not read you before. Being a Redneck I thought you where the other danny glover and would pass you over. Maybe you should put an RN behind you name.

Comment by Jim — February 23, 2010 @ 10:21 am

12. I don’t know where to begin. All that can be said at this juncture is expect alot from myself as contribution here. I may initiate this conversation by the same introduction I give to my clients: I am a multi-cultural/international multi-lingual redneck who is frustrated by a political movement of goat-ropers claiming to be rednecks. You don’t get a red neck from mobile homes. I look forward to contributing. I’ve just heard Danny on the BBC and am overjoyed that someone has taken up this trajectory.

Comment by Scotty W — April 4, 2010 @ 3:53 am

13. I’m a proud redneck from Kentucky and proud of it. I want my country back and we can only do that by voting in November. Get registered and get involved. And please vote Republican, I think they are starting to get the message.
    Many of us don’t vote BUT WE NEED TO!

Comment by Fred Benson — April 20, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

14. I still don’t see the redneck needing to be save after all as more Americans live in cites is he or she out of place. As Bill Shadell 1955 article for American rifle man pointed out “Let’s face it we have become a nation of urbanites dependent upon our machines and one fellows” He then said nonsense about teaching boys the ways of the frontier man to ward off the red hordes. Still they are a doomed bread no longer needed.

Comment by Robert S Moulds — February 24, 2015 @ 12:03 pm